Friday, July 13, 2007

Identity on parade: come ShowYourself!

Its been 24 hours in web 2.0 world and that’s a long time...

And *puff* Oh look another social networking site, another profile to create, another set of passwords, profile tags, user names etc to remember. YUK!

There is on Web 2.0 an ever-increasing array of user platforms, sites, forums etc. that seem to slowly erode away one’s digital identity as profiles attempt to span the social space stratosphere. It is more than easy to get lost, or worse never found ‘out there’. With this in mind creative genius’s have come up with a new piece of techno wizardgery in the guise of a widget called ShowYourself. Basically (after a quick play around) it combines all your profiles that span across the web into one rather fetching widget that you can place on your blog, website, even social network profile to show ‘where’ you may be and in what form. Handy, if a bit fiddly to begin with, suddenly though you can expose yourself on multiple fronts.

Which brings me rather nicely onto my next query, does one want to indicate the multiple possibilities of your identity and where you can be hunted down? One of the reasons that I have numerous accounts in different places is that they are designed for different networks; I would rather my more formal Linkedin contacts did not know, or try to seek out, my more personal Flickr account etc. The complexity here appears to lie with, not only possible identity profiling options, but rather an disquietness about identity management and possible over-disclosure of the self.

In terms of the new widget in its favour it does let one select exactly which profiles to display so you can custom-tailor your possible web exposure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maz,

A comment question - are things different in other cultures? Many of my students on the west of the USA come from Asia and I'd be interested to know if they use SNS differently from my home grown students. Little good academic work on this yet - so interesting that you are in the area. You should publish as soon as so you get a name for this analysis.
My generation is not in tune with such public spaces as this so I'll not send my name as I don't want my graduate students viewing my comments. Nice work and hope to read more here and a elsewhere.

Dr Mariann Hardey said...

Anon,
Funnily enough my own research is trans-national with data collected in the UK and Australia.

I have an article out about this:


http://journal.media-culture.org.au/0703/09-hardey.php


And other Publications are in the pipeline...

Gosh are you sure your not my supervisor... urging me to 'get a name' for myself sounds exactly like something he would advise!

:D